Are you in the market for the best air rifles? Maybe you’re here because you’re looking for the best guns to survive the coronavirus? Getting one is becoming a herculean affair given the many options available, and this article will look at the top ten best air rifles and review them.
While they might not be as powerful as real rifles, an air rifle will serve the same purpose without the added cost of a real rifle. You can take them for target practice, hunting, and if you are a good shot, take them to official competitions. With the global pandemic underway due to the coronavirus, the world has gone into a panic. People are dying, the stock market is crashing, it’s almost impossible to buy gold and silver, banks are capping withdrawal amounts and guns are selling out. It’s a good time to get prepared, and an air rifle may be a handy investment if things are to worsen. As the coronavirus continues to upend our lives, now is a good time to get survival ready.
Buying one for yourself or children need not be a trial and error affair. Whether you are in the market for spring, CO2 or gas-powered BB gun, you will not have a problem after reading through our recommendations of what we consider to be the top ten best air rifles 2020 and the best guns to survive the coronavirus pandemic.
1. Gamo Big Cat 1250 .177 Calibre Air Rifle with Scope
This is a moderately priced air rifle that is 43.3-inches and weighs 6.1 pounds. It is significantly lighter and smaller, but Gamo has not sacrificed quality.
The Gamo Big Cat 1250 , which is very similar to it’s cousin the Gamo Wildcat Whisper has a tough synthetic build which makes it perfect for shooting .177 calibre rounds. It is an all-weather air rifle and it has a rubber covered butt to prevent discomfort when firing and to absorb the recoil.
Whether you are a right- or left-handed shooter will not matter since it comes with ambidextrous cheek pads coating the stock. It stands as the best air rifle 2020 since it fires platinum pellets at a velocity of 1,250 FPS. It also comes with a scope that increases accuracy since it has a 4Xmagnification.
- 177 calibre single-shot rifle with 4X magnification, 32-millimeter objective rifle scope
- It will shoot PBA Platinum at 1250 FPS (feet per second)
- Non-slip checkering on the grip and forearm
- Single cocking system
- Synthetic stock with polymer over-moulded precision rifled steel barrel
- It is lightweight which makes it easy to aim and hold steady with each shot
- It is a high-velocity air rifle with the right type of ammo. However, you can swap the ammo for lead pellets for low velocity
- Can be used by a left- or right-handed shooter
- It has a low-quality scope at 4X magnification. This means that you will have to adjust it regularly for a more accurate shot, or you will have to swap the scope with another more powerful one
- It is not available in certain zip codes
This is arguably the best BB gun you will find today. However, due to increased demand, they have reduced their selection in certain regions. Fortunately, Gamo is working to increase production to deliver worldwide.
2. Crosman Benjamin Trail NP XL 1500 (.177)
The Crosman Benjamin Trail NP XL 1500 is one of the best-looking air rifles on sale today. It has a high-speed capacity that can fire up to 25 feet per pound. It has the break barrel which reduces up to 70% of the noise when firing.
It also comes with a smooth and essential cocking motion. This makes it fast, simple, and low on noise. It also has a 3-9* 40 mm scope and you can also install a sling for operating the Picatinny setup rail system.
- .177 calibre
- Shoots alloy pellets at 1500 FPS and 1250 FPS for lead pellets
- It has a medium-range sound set at 3
- It has a 19.5-inch barrel, and the entire rifle is 48.25 inches
- Shoots one shot at a time
- It is light since it weighs a mere 9.7 pounds
- It uses a modern Nitro rifle technique
- The stock is made of superior hardwood
- It employs advanced craftsmanship, which gives it a long usage life
- Has the power of a magnum
- It is silent and has less recoil
- Simple cocking mechanism
- It has an impure barrel out of the box
- You have to turn off the trigger
The Crosman Benjamin Trail NP XL 1500 is another of our favourites that has made our list as one of the ‘Best Air Rifles in 2020’. It is ideal for hunting small game and the smooth cocking mechanism makes it easy to handle when out in the field.
3. CROSMAN M4-177 PNEUMATIC PUMP AIR RIFLE (.177)
The Crosman M4-177 pneumatic pump air rifle (.177) is arguably the best air soft gun on the market today. It uses a multi-pump pneumatic system that fires pellets at 600 fps and BBs at 625 fps. It looks like an automatic rifle and measures a mere 33.75 inches with a 17.25-inch barrel.
- It has an adjustable stock, dual aperture rear sight with windage, loop slots for a sling and elevation adjustments
- Removable magazine that stores the pellet clip with a sight adjustment tool
- It has a Crosman firepower 5 shot pellet clip
- The BB reservoir holds up to 350 BBs
- Accessory rails for mounting the scope, flashlights, lasers, and camera
- It is safe and easy to use thanks to the child-friendly features
- At 3.7 lbs, it will not cause any mobility issues
- The clip has a large amount of ammo
- Impressive firepower at 600 fps and 625 fps depending on the ammo
- An impressive reservoir at 350 BBs accounts
- It has an adjustable stock which means both adults and children can use it comfortably
- It lacks noise dampening that might make it annoying when used for fun activities
- It is mostly made of plastic, which lowers its appeal
Despite its cons, the Crosman M4-177 pneumatic pump air rifle (.177) is modelled after the actual AD15. It is intended for use by both novices and professionals and you will enjoy its accuracy. In terms of looks, this BB gun has the best air rifle accessories and you should not walk around with it.
4. Swiss Arms 288723 Tac-1 Break Barrel
The Swiss Arms 288723 Tac-1 Break Barrel has a tactical look that makes it appealing to the eye. However, it offers more than a sense of style and offers great utility which is at par with the more expensive models.
It offers great accuracy and fires at a velocity of up to 1200 FPS depending on the pellet used. It can fire with accuracy at 80 yards with the help of a scope.
- Fires .177 calibre pellets
- It has a velocity of 1200 FPS
- It has a 4×32 scope and mount
- It has a thumbhole stock
- It has a safety feature located at the front of the trigger
- It has a steel barrel
- Rubber recoil
- Synthetic black stock
- It has a muzzle brake for noise reduction
- It has a high accuracy thanks to the scope
- The 1250 FPS velocity does not affect its accuracy
- Despite having a muzzle brake, it is a very loud air rifle that could beat some of the .22 calibre rifles
The Swiss Arms 288723 Tac-1 Break Barrel is not made for stealth since it is very loud. For this reason, it could do with a better muzzle brake. However, it is a stylish air rifle that offers the best utility for an air rifle in its price range.
5. Ruger Blackhawk Combo Air Rifle
The Ruger Blackhawk Combo Air Rifle is sleek and effective. It is a composite air rifle that is a little on the heavy side at 9.6 pounds. However, this indicates its durability and resistance to extreme weather. It too, is one of the best air rifles today and it comes with the following features:
- 1200 FPS with alloy pellets
- 1000 FPS with lead pellets
- 3 lb trigger pull
- Spring piston powered
- 5-inch pull length
- 30 lbs cocking effort
- .177 calibre
- The overall length of 44.8 inches
- It includes scope and mounting rings
- Light trigger pull at 3lbs which does not offer much resistance
- Good shot grouping
You will need to take the time and learn how to aim with the Ruger Blackhawk. This way, you will know how to group your shots with greater efficacy and accuracy. You will also know how to manage the use of your air soft gun pellets.
- While the Blackhawk uses a standard scope, you will need to zero it whenever you switch to a different type of pellet
- The Blackhawk has heavy recoil. To reduce the recoil, you will have to shoot from the Artillery Hold position
Unfortunately, this is not an air rifle for children and people with a weak stance. Even when held in the Artillery hold position, the recoil is similar to that of a .22 calibre rifle and this can easily throw you off.
6. Gamo Raptor Whisper Air Rifle
The Gamo Raptor Whisper air rifle is available in two options: .177 and .22 calibre. Whichever option you prefer, it is full of features that make it one of the best air rifles for target shooting, hunting or as a plinking gun. It has smoother cocking and shooting in any kind of weather.
Its key features are:
- Uses inert gas technology that delivers more velocity at 975 FPS for the .22 calibre and 1300 FPS with the .177 calibre
- It has less shock and offers consistent power with a smooth cocking action
- It has Gamo’s whisper noise reduction technology and smooth action trigger (SAT) which translates to smoother action pull with maximised accuracy
- It has a 4X32 power shockproof scope
- It has an all-weather polymer stock
- One year warranty
- Shoots perfectly ion any weather
- Amazing noise reduction technology
- Two variants, .177 and .22 calibre
- Despite the noise-reducing technology is not enough to make it a stealth gun
- You will need more practice to achieve accuracy with your shots
- Scope moves during action
The Gamo Raptor Whisper Air Rifle is one of a kind. However, you might need a better scope for better accuracy, which means you will have to shop around for more air rifle accessories for better utility.
7. Benjamin Marauder Synthetic Stock Pellet Air Rifle
This Benjamin Marauder synthetic stock pellet air rifle has a two-stage adjustable trigger. Unlike previous models, it has a multi-shot design and an auto-indexing clip. Some of its key features include:
- It has an ambidextrous raised comb
- It has a choked and internally shrouded barrel for better precision and ultra-hushed shooting
- The two-stage, adjustable, match-grade trigger for smoother and steadier shooting
- 10-round magazine that allows for faster follow up shots
- The slightly backed up trigger offers better grip and stability
- Softer recoil
- The magazine makes shot grouping possible
- It is a quiet rifle
- It is well balanced for carrying in the field
- It is compatible with multiple pellets
- The gagged barrel offers better precision
- Since it is a PCP rifle, you will need an external filing source.
- Manually pumping the rifle is also taxing since it takes between 50 and 90 pumps to fill the reservoir
- It a bit heavy for most users
This is one of the best air rifles since it performs well at reducing noise and better accuracy. Despite that it is heavier than most air rifles, it offers great precision, does the job quietly, and has the best use of air soft gun pellets.
8. RWS .22 Pellet Model 34 Combo Rifle
The RWS .22 pellet model 34 combo air rifle has a break barrel that has an adjustable rear sight and a fixed front side made with fibre optic. It one of the best air rifles that have a hardwood stock and it feels balanced in your hands.
Some of its key features are:
- Cheek pieces on both side of the stock for right or left-handed use
- .22 pellets can reach a velocity of up to 800 FPS and 1000FPS with the .177 calibre shots
- It is a single shot with a T06 trigger
- It comes with a 3-9*40 air gun scope
- It has a break barrel
- Uses spring piston technology as a power source
- An accurate scope with a graduated distance indicator
- It offers a comfortable shot thanks to the balanced stock
- Lifetime warranty
- It has ambidextrous cheek pieces
- Not noisy when used with lead pellets
- The rear sight has click modification for both elevation and wind-age
- It is a solid, well made and the wo0oden stock gives it an appealing look
- It is not suitable for young children since the barrel is pretty long even for an adult
- You will have to checker the stock at the grasp
- The front sight is made from plastic which makes it look cheap
- The wood looks thin and it could break if you handled it roughly
This air rifle is built for people who want a combination of power and finesse in their firearms. However, it is costlier than other models on this list, but you get what you pay for and more.
9. Hatsan 95 Air Rifle Combo, Walnut Stock Air Rifle
The Hatsan 95 air rifle combo has a Turkish walnut stock and a golden coloured metal trigger, which makes it one of the best-looking air rifles on this list. It is a .177 calibre rifle that weighs in at a mere 8.4 lbs. It has a barrel length of 17.7 inches and an overall length of 44.3 inches.
Some of its best features are:
- It has a maximum velocity of 650 FPS for lead pellets
- It has a 2-stage adjustable Quattro trigger
- It has a Saas shock absorber
- Comes with Optima 3-9*32 scope with rings included
- The shock absorber system reduces recoil and increases the rifle’s lifespan
- It is highly accurate and lead pellets get the velocity of 1000 FPS
- Very attractive with minimum plastic
- It is quite heavy and might affect your mobility in the field
- It is too loud for neighbourhood hunting
- The air rifle accessories such as the scope and the mounts are of low quality
This is one of the best-looking air rifles on this list and it is affordable given its functionality. They are long-lasting and easy to use by both novices and professionals.
10. Daisy 880 Powerline Kit Air Rifle
This Daisy 880 Powerline kit air rifle comes with the best air rifle accessories. The rifle has one of the best shooting powers with the ability to shoot both pellets and BBs, which makes it the best BB gun on the market today. It is a pneumatic air rifle that comes in two colours: black and brown.
Some of its best features include:
- The rifle comes with safety glasses, 500 Daisy pellets, and 750 BBs, and a 4×15 mm scope with rings
- It is a multi-pump pneumatic rifle .177 calibre pellet or BBs
- Shoots BBs at 750 FPS and pellets at 715 FPS
- It has a 50 shot BB capacity
- It has fibre optics front sight and adjustable rear sight
- It has cross bolt trigger block safety
- One year warranty
- You can shoot up to 291 yards
- Great trigger weight which significantly reduces the force while shooting
- It is a lightweight air rifle which makes it easy to carry in the field
- It is great for teaching beginners how to shoot
- It has a sturdy plastic body, which makes it long-lasting
- Its shooting power can be varied depending on the number of pre-shoot pumps
- You have to be extremely careful when shooting the gun
- Loading the pellets is challenging
- There is a lengthy period between two shots
While this air rifle can be considered a mixed bag when compared with other rifles in its calibre, its pros outweigh the cons. It is a great gun for beginners, and it will give you good service.
These are our top ten best air rifles for 2020 in the market today. However, before making a purchase, be sure to know where you can find the right air rifle accessories and air soft gun pellets for better utility. We hope that you will find at least one gun that will meet your needs from this air rifle review.